Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Topic for Discussion...


This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.
John 5:14-15

So- I pose a topic today. A thought for discussion. Based upon a recent conversation that didn't end the way I thought it would and left me wondering... please add your thoughts.

Here was the conversation that led to this post. (original topic- Paul's transition out of his former position/job)

Me: I told him to do everything he needed to qualify- the rest... the bonus, salary etc, we will pray in.

Them: He does need to do everything to qualify BUT if he gets the bonus/salary it will be because he deserved it and not because you prayed for what you wanted.

I went on to say this (or something similar to it as this conversation is now a few days old...)

Me: Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that. Though I believe it is quite possible to pray for something that you want and believe that God will grant it... I think more importantly is the concept as to WHY we can pray for something and believe that it will be granted us. Several times in the word God tells us to ask and we will receive. That we should have expectant faith... faith in what is seen (or possible) is not faith at all... and that God gives us what we ask according to His will. There are requirements... yes. ASKING. BELIEVING. BRINGING GLORY TO THE FATHER. KNOWING HIS WILL. That's a big one. And we can know his will by knowing him. We can know him by pressing in and spending time with him in prayer, in the reading of His word, and by putting to practice the things of Him. As we know him we become likeminded. As we become likeminded... we respond in obedience to the things he calls us to and find ourselves knowing and doing His will. And as we know and do His will... we find the things we WANT become more the things He wants for us. So that as we mature in our relationship with Him, when we pray for something... be it physical, spiritual, emotional... we can expectantly believe for Him to grant it because it was something He already wanted for us.

The more we KNOW HIM, the more we become LIKE-MINDED with Him, the more we are in HIS WILL, the more we will ask of Him things He already wants for us... the more we can EXPECT to receive that which we ask of Him.

Is that making sense to anyone????


I won't lie. I came out of the conversation feeling admonished for being a "name it claim it" type. And I don't think that could be any further from truth.

My only desire is to KNOW HIM! Not to know OF Him. But to know Him. And not to know Him in way that I am content or have settled into relationship. To continually seek Him. To which He promises to be found by me. To be LIKE-MINDED... and obedient in action to the areas in which He is already at work. To pray with an EXPECTANT FAITH for the things He already desires for me and for those I am led to pray for. To be used of Him in whatever ways/capacity He sees fit.

And for me NOT to believe that this is the God I am in relationship with... for me to believe less or more than this would be to limit God or esteem myself greater.

I am aware that I will ask of Him things that are not of Him by which He will say no. But as I mature in my walk with Him those requests should become fewer... because His heart for me, His will for me... as I abide in Him...will become my heart and will over time.

Please post your thoughts... I would love for this to become a discussion of sorts. (As much as is capable via a blog) Or call me. :)

I have pulled these scriptures out as a point of reference. Were I to attempt to go into context- aside from the fact that I really have limited training in exegesis and hermeneutics's... is the fact that were I to even try to conquer context here- surely no one would ever stop by to read another post. But the scriptures in and of themselves... with the help of the Holy Spirit provide endless direction and truth. So if nothing else on this page- read them. For as 2 Tim. says, "All scripture is God Breathed."

Matthew 7:7
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

John 14:13 "Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

1 John 2:28 Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.

1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God;

1 John 3:22 and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

1 comment:

Valkyrie said...

I am surprised to see that no one has responded to your request for discussion on this topic!

I read your conversation through a couple of times, and it seems very evident to me that you are working from a position of humility and submission. I don't see anything wrong with the way you worded your initial statement, nor with the way you explained yourself. I think you are right on.

It is so important that we recognize that we don't always get what we ask for, but that we should continue to ask for the things that we want/need. And that we should always praise our savior for the outcome.

The way I see it, God asks us to do our best in our work place, and from the employer's perspective, your prayers have nothing to do with the bonus, but we know better don't we? All good things come from our God, who is our provider, right? So yes, in fact, it is ok to ask for such things, because God knows whether or not we will praise His name in response.

Don't be discouraged, Siesta, for there will always be someone looking to misinterpret us when we talk about God. I think your response is really good. You've gone back to scripture and looked for God's response to your attitude.

And finally, I pray that the bonus is granted, for God's Glory!!

Valkyrie!