Thursday, October 25, 2007

Where to Begin...

I've spent the last week in central PA with my in laws. We haven't been out there in a year so it was wonderful to see the kids spend time with their grandparents as well as their aunts, uncles, and cousins.

I was also able to attend my "TEN YEAR reunion" at Messiah College. (Ouch!) It was the highlight of my week. I was able to see friends I remain in contact with (Heidi, Holly, Marci)... friends I'd lost contact with (Robyn, Kristina, Sari, ABBY!!!) as well as people I recognized but couldn't place for the life of me. (And so it begins... :)

I wondered after the gathering ended what was really going on in the lives of those who attended that reunion. It's hard to have any quality time speaking to someone in a setting like that. Take me for example- the pressing things in my life include the work the Lord is currently doing in my heart, my family, and Lyme disease. Aside from mentioning the names and or ages of my children/husband... I didn't address any of those things. And that's fine because that's the nature of a reunion. But what I know to be true, despite comments like, "Chelle' hasn't changed at all... she's still TALKING.", is that I HAVE indeed changed. AND I AM SO GRATEFUL.

Yes, I'm still talking... but the topic has most certainly changed. Instead of the selfish drivel all of my conversations used to consist of... God is generally my topic of choice these days. And why wouldn't He be? He has saved me. And continues to transform me. I want nothing more than to glorify Him... spend time in His word... know more of Him... and become like-minded with Him. Ultimately knowing and doing His will. That is not who I used to be.

Isn't God's grace amazing?

I wonder how true that is for the others at my reunion. I'm sure for many.

Where were you 10 years ago? Not physically- spiritually, emotionally, relationally??? What has changed for you? Even if you don't post it... think on it. I think one of the most amazing things we have going for us is REMEMBERING all that the Lord has done in our lives. Remembering His hand in our circumstances... His provision for our needs... His peace in our trials... HIS PRESENCE in our midst. Have you endured, or are you enduring, something that has been used to bring you to a place in the Lord you wouldn't be otherwise?

I certainly am. You all know. My battle with Neurological Lyme is well over 2 years long... and has been just that- a BATTLE. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKES ABOUT IT... I wouldn't be who I am today were I not to have Lyme Disease. This disease forced me submit. Forced me to recognize the person of God in my life. Forced me to seek the will of the Lord overall and my place in His plan.

Were I to have to deal with this disease for the rest of my life it would serve as nothing more than a reminder of God's faithfulness to me. Simply put... Without this disease I may never have come to the end of myself.


And isn't that the biggest trial for us all. Coming to the end of ourselves?

No comments: