Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A "First" We Could Have Lived Without...

I woke up this morning to the headline, "First reported US death due to Swine Flu". I caught my breath. What terrible news. News that I thought couldn't get any worse. Until I read on.

A 23 month old toddler that had recently traveled to Mexico with family... fell ill and died of complications of the flu virus.

I don't know about you but my heart is broken. And at the same time, I'm wondering if this could actually become a pandemic as the CDC cautions.

The thing about a pandemic is that it really can't be stopped right? I mean, think about it. People are still traveling. Kids are still in school. Moms are still grocery shopping. Dads are still working. And families are still attending church. This thing takes 5 days to incubate. Meaning- we are exposed and feel fine for almost a week before the symptoms set in. For that week we are coming and going and playing and hugging and sharing sodas etc.

I am not trying to strike fear into the hearts of those that read this. I am simply calling us all to PRAY!!! A toddler has already died from this. 68 people in the US are confirmed to have this. Schools in New York City are already closed due to the "liklihood" of 75 infected children.

Something... SOMEONE is going to have to intervene here because this thing has the potential to GO HUGE.

All this to say- I'm praying!! I hope you are too!

4 comments:

Mari said...

Thanks for this call to action Chelle. I know I am too often complacent about things like this because of the media so often blowing things out of proportion. However - we need to be praying about this.

A Stone Gatherer said...

Definately need to pray and trust God's soverignty! It is a scary thing to consider. My son is worried about it.

Unknown said...

So many concerns to pray about but God is in control and knows the out come.

Unknown said...

Stop by I tagged you in fun game