Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Just in the past few days....

Three different people have contacted me to say that they have found deer ticks on their children...

Two of the three have been unable to get antibiotics!!

One hasn't even tried.

One doctor told my friend that "It goes against protocol to treat on a preventative basis." (Here is where I insert text taken from the Mayo clinic web site and personally say protocol-smotocol....we're talking lives here!!!)

Mayo Clinic says this- "Single-dose doxycycline (200 mg orally) can be used as prophylaxis in selected patients. Preventive measures should be emphasized to patients to help reduce risk."

Ummmm...clearly PROTOCOL is quite subjective... yes?

I will go on to say that Doxy can not and should not be used in children and that the antibiotic of choice should be ammoxicilian. And the dosage differs not from a 2 week course for an ear infection. So- what's the hold up?

CDC says their test is flawed and accurate only 30-40 percent of the time. But the physicians think you should wait at least 4 weeks until the blood test can be given. What?

All this to say... I would be grateful if you would join me in praying for two wee ones who have had ticks pulled off them in the last couple days and can't get treatment.

Sam- a 4 year old who already has a fever and is feeling terrible.

Ethan- a 3 year old whose mama also had lyme for 2 years and knows what a tick can do... furthermore- his mama asked the Dr. to send the tick for testing and the Dr. refused that too.

Doctors turned both of these kids away without so much as a single dose of antibiotics. Modern medicine for some reason doesn't acknowledge the growing epidemic surrounding us... and may, in it's ignorance (or mere disregard) be encouraging it's continual growth.

And please pray for the last little one whose mom didn't even try to get meds...

The lack of understanding of this terrible disease could cause a parent not to safeguard a child from this illness and the ramifications... well- I won't even contemplate them...

5 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

Doctors, sometimes they just make me want to scream!!! If it's not by the book they chuck it out! Those poor babies!

Mari said...

Oh! That makes me so angry. I can't imagine how frustrating it has to be for you. I will pray for them.

girlymom said...

Thanks for all the info about ticks. My sister lives in an area that has aLOT of them and she is always doing checks of herself and her son. I can't imagine.

Rebekah said...

I have really been paying attention to ticks since I've read you post. I never checked my kids when they played outside- now I check them several times, especially when they are out at the farm.

They want to give 11 year old girls birth control as preventative- but wont give kids antibiotics for tick bites???

Vic said...

My prayers are with these children thanks for posting this information.